One thing that comes to mind is how some code registers app specific
observers so the code runs after the UI is displayed.
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/mozapps/update/nsUpdateService.js#180
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/devtools/shared/system.js#24
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/addon-sdk/source/lib/sdk/system/xul-app.jsm#48

Perhaps having a single category for after UI has been displayed that
components can specify in their manifests so they are initialized at that
time similar to how profile-after-change is typically used. This way they
wouldn't have to initialize just to register an observer so the work
happens after theUI is displayed.
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/mozapps/update/nsUpdateService.manifest#12

Robert