On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
> Is there a reason why a larger stack size is OK on 32-bit Linux but
> wouldn't be OK on 32-bit Windows? (Seems kinda weird that both
> defaults would just happen to be exactly perfect even when they are so
> different.)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686774(v=vs.85).aspx
indicates that the default stack size for threads is 1 MB on Windows.
Even if the problem is that changing the main thread's stack size
increases the default for threads, too, it still seems that both
defaults on 32-bit Linux are already higher.

On 32-bit Ubuntu, ulimit -s prints 8192, so the default for the main
thread is 8 MB.
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_create.3.html says that
the default stack size for threads on 32-bit x86 is 2 MB.

If we can get away with 2 MB stack size for threads that don't ask for
a custom stack size on 32-bit Linux, I'd hope we don't need to treat 1
MB as a hard limit on 32-bit Windows.

Or is there something that makes our default thread stack smaller than
the manual page says on 32-bit Linux?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi