On 09/14/2017 05:37 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 9/14/17 5:33 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
I think either of these two ideas would be good, but I think unshipping in 57 is premature without having an understanding of how much the Web depends on this for UA sniffing.

OK. Do you have any suggestions on how we could gain that understanding?

We could try to detect sniffing like "if (window.content)" by doing something like this:

1)  Make the property non-enumerable.
2)  Add a use counter for gets.

That would not detect sniffing like "if ('content' in window)"...

We could also just hide the property on nightly only and see whether we get bug reports, possibly combined with the non-enumerable and usecounter bits.

Any other ideas?

Unfortunately I don't have any bright ideas besides the ones you already mentioned. :/