On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/15/17 6:30 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
>
>> we'd like to require the use of `mach try` for Try
>> submissions.
>>

> So just to be clear, instead of being able to "hg push -f try" will one
> now need to do "./mach try syntax ....." and put in the actual syntax
> string on every single try push?
>
> The reason I ask is that a very common use case for me is having a single
> try syntax that I want to apply to multiple changesets (e.g. bisecting
> things on try, or doing A/B comparisons on some tests with/without some
> patches, etc).  Having a trysyntax changeset or ten in my mq works pretty
> well for this.  I can give them names that indicate what sort of try push
> they do, so if I want to do a "linux64, tests, no talos" changeset I don't
> have to go around digging for the try syntax for it: I already have
> something that has a name indicating that, and qpushing it is pretty easy
> with the name-substring matching qpush does.
>
> There are obviously ways mach try could support this, e.g. by being able
> to easily define aliases for particular ways of pushing to try or whatnot.
> But it doesn't have an obvious way of doing that right now.
>
> One could also use shell aliases for this, but in practice the lack of
> substring matching on shell aliases would get annoying, because there are a
> bunch of kinda-similar variants involved in my experience.

`mach try fuzzy` supports presets via `mach try fuzzy --preset PRESET`. See
`mach help try fuzzy`.

I encourage you to file bugs on making the usability fit your needs. I
would even consider an "auto bisect" mechanism (where it submits N
changesets using the same configuration) a reasonable feature request.
Since Try scheduling is all in-tree now, we could do that in a single push
- possibly even with a single changeset. That will almost certainly be
faster than the workflow you are currently practicing.