Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 22:36:40 UTC+2 schrieb Jeff Griffiths:

> 1. do you prefer the existing behaviour or the new behaviour?

I don't mind being able to change the minimum-width for the tabs, actually I
like that Firefox is as customizable as it is, but...

> 2. if you prefer a value for this pref different than 50 or 100, what
> is it? Why?

... i efinitely prefer the 100. The 50 px might allow you to see more tabs
before you have to start scrolling but at a width of just 50 px you can barely
read the first letters of a tab name meaning that I solely have to go off the
favicon in combination with the position. Sometimes I have multiple tabs from
the same page open then I won't be able to tell the difference at all!

> Moving forward there are a few different options:
>
> 1. uplifting this change into 57 ( possibly with a different default
> value ) If we think the patch has a generally positive effect and no
> downsides, we may decide to uplift into 57 Beta and let it ride the
> trains.
>
> 2. keeping the change in 58, possibly with a different value.
>
> 3. keeping the change in 58, preserving the current setting of 100px
> and providing an alternate pref ( probably a toggle or predefined
> values ) for "skinnier" tabs.

I would say 2 or 3 would be best. I wouldn't rush this and uplift it to 57.
Let's hear more opinions fist.

> Longer term I intend to propose a more in-depth study of tab behaviour
> among different user segments and assess different strategies for
> heavier tab users including things like horizontal tab scaling,
> vertical tabs, etc. I can't see that happening before Q1 next year.

I'd say let's do that :D