On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM, <zbranie...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> This is awesome! As an engineer who has to work with C++ until we advance
> Rust bindings, I always feel terrible when my reviewers spend their
> precious time identifying simple C++ errors in my code.
>

> Seeing the advancements in static analysis for C++, rustfmt and eslint for
> JS, I'm wondering if there's a place to collect a less strict "best
> practices" analysis - more similar to rust's clippy than fmt.
>
> In Intl/L10n land, we have a bunch of recommendations that are very hard
> to enforce since they spread between JS, C++ and soon Rust regarding
> language selection, manipulation, testing of intl output etc.
> I'm wondering if there's a place to get those kind of "automated feedback"
> patterns.
> A few examples of what I have on my mind:
>
>  - We'd like people to not use "general.useragent.locale" to manipulate
> app locale anymore, but rather use Services.locale.getRequestedLocales/
> setRequestedLocales.
>  - We'd like to make sure people don't write unit tests that test
> particular output out of Intl APIs (that makes our tests locked to only
> work in one language and break every time we update our datasets - that's a
> big no-no in the intl world)
>  - We'd like to discourage people from altering app locales, and rather
> test against updated required locales.
>  - Soon we'll want to recommend using DOMLoclaization.jsm/Localization.jsm
> API over StringBundle/DTD.
>
> Those things can be encoded as regexps, but they span across programming
> languages (XUL, XHTML, HTML, XBL, DTD, JS, C++).
>
> Is there any mozilla-clippy project being planned? :)

We have mozlint (
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/tools/lint/index.html), which is a
mini framework of sorts for integrating various linters into a common
frontend (`mach lint`). Many of these lints run in CI. It is relatively
easy to add new linters (as the docs detail).

Feel free to supplement existing linters with custom checks or write your
own new linter if appropriate. ahal is the mozlint guru if you have
questions.