Answered inline below.

On 21 November 2017 at 19:03, Nicholas Alexander <nalexan...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 5:25 AM, David Burns <dbu...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> For the next version of geckodriver I am intending that it not ship a
>> Linux
>> 32 bit version of Geckodriver. Currently it accounts of 0.1% of downloads
>> and we regularly get somewhat cryptic intermittents which are hard to
>> diagnose.
>>

> I don't see the connection between 32-bit geckodriver and the test changes
> below.  Is it that the test suites we run require 32-bit geckodriver, and
> that's the only consumer?

Linux 32 bit Geckodriver is only used on that platform for testing wdspec
tests. It is built as part of the Linux 32 bit build and then moved to
testers.

>> *What does this mean for most people?* We will be turning off the WDSpec
>> tests, a subset of Web-Platform Tests used for testing the WebDriver
>> specification.
>

> Are these WDSpec tests run anywhere?  My long play here is to use a Java
> Web Driver client to drive web content to test interaction with GeckoView,
> so I'm pretty interested in our implementation conforming to the Web Driver
> spec ('cuz any Java Web Driver client will expect it to do so).  Am I
> missing something here?

They are currently run on OSX, Windows 32bit and 64bit and Linux 64 bit. We
are not dropping support for WebDriver. Actually this will allow us to
focus more on where our users are.

As for mobile, geckodriver is designed to speak to marionette over tcp. As
long as we can speak to the view, probably over adb, geckodriver it can
then speak to Marionette. This would make the host mostly irrelevant and
seeing how Linux 32 is barely used its not going to affect any work that
you do.

> This is all rather vaporish, so if my concerns aren't concrete or
> immediate enough, I'll accept that.

Hopefully this gives you a little more confidence :)

David