On 11/27/2017 02:01 PM, James Graham wrote:
> On 27/11/17 12:20, smaug wrote:
>> This is basically an after the fact notification that
>> we're in progress of implementing Shadow DOM again, this time v1[1].
>> While doing this, the v0 implementation, which was never exposed to
>> the web, will be removed.
>> v1 is luckily way simpler, so this all should simplify various bits in
>> DOM.
>>
>> FF60 might be quite realistic target to ship this, but there will be
>> intent-to-ship
>> before that.
>>
>> Many parts of the spec (DOM) is stable, but there are still couple of
>> tricky issues in HTML, like
>> session history handling with shadow DOM. However Chrome and Safari
>> are shipping v1 already.
>>
>> Devtools will be able to see into the Shadow DOM.
>>
>> Currently the work is under the old pref "dom.webcomponents.enabled"
>> but perhaps we should change that, so that people who were testing v0
>> don't get
>> v1 APIs.
>
> Do we have cross-browser (i.e. web-platform) tests for this feature, and
> have we assessed whether they are sufficiently complete to give us
> confidence of interop?

There are some web platform tests, but I'm moderately sure that the
rendering bits of them are not quite enough, since they're quite basic.

I also know that Chromium and WebKit have tons of crashtests and tests
for dynamic changes of the page that we'd definitely benefit from.

I know there's an effort in Chromium to upstream LayoutTests to WPT. The
Shadow DOM v1 LayoutTests would be extremely helpful to have upstream IMO.

 -- Emilio