On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 17/12/17 15:29, Jonathan Kingston wrote:
>> I am suggesting the removal of both Ambient Light and Proximity Sensor APIs
>> via a preference so we can ensure there is no adverse impact to the web
>> with a quick mitigation if needed.

I think this removal is prudent and timely. It is consistent with our
default principles on privacy etc. and good to do it quickly while we
think the potential impact is low at worst.

> Is it fair to say that after removal of the Proximity Sensor API, no
> e.g. WebRTC-based audio-calling webapp

Do you know of a specific (URL?) mobile-device-capable (which
device(s)?) WebRTC-based audio-calling webapp that works today? I
would be very interested in testing it out.

> will be able to blank the screen
> when the user holds the device to their ear?
>
> That seems sad.

It's likely worth capturing your use-case in the Sensors Use-cases doc:
* https://w3c.github.io/sensors/usecases

That specific use-case doesn't seem to be in there, so go ahead and
file it here and feel free to cc: @tantek
* https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues

Thanks,

Tantek