On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 1:16 AM, Stuart Philp <sph...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Generally I think we’d take performance and memory wins over installer
> size, but we monitor all three and if installer size grows (gradually) by
> an uncomfortable amount we ought to make a call on the trade off. We can
> bring it to product should that happen.

"Installer" implies Windows.

I think the thing we should have learned from the multi-year
ICU-on-Android situation is that having Gecko development blocked by a
binary size concern from product is such a bad situation to be in that
we should avoid getting into that situation rather expect to be able
to take corrective action if we get into that situation.

(A key reason why encoding_rs is smaller than uconv despite offering
more functionality is that not getting it blocked on binary size
grounds was a design priority before writing code.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi