Obviously, using a central resolver is the downside to this approach - but
its being explored because we believe that using the right resolver can be
a net win compared to the disastrous state of unsecured local DNS and
privacy and hijacking problems that go on there. Its just a swamp out there
(you can of course disable this from about:studies or just by setting your
local trr.mode pref to 0 - but this discussion is meaningfully about
defaults.)

And in this case the operating agreement with the dns provider is part of
making that right choice. For this test that means the operator will not
retain for themselves or sell/license/transfer to a third party any PII
(including ip addresses and other user identifiers) and will not combine
the data it gets from this project with any other data it might have. A
small amount of data necessary for troubleshooting the service  can be kept
at most 24 hrs but that data is limited to name, dns type, a timestamp, a
response code, and the CDN node that served it.