On Wednesday 2018-05-02 15:56 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> The W3C is proposing a revised charter for:
>
>   WebRTC Working Group
>   https://www.w3.org/2018/04/webrtc-charter.html
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2018Apr/0008.html
>
> Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
> Friday, May 25.
>
> The changes relative to the previous charter are:
> https://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2015%2F07%2Fwebrtc-charter.html&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2018%2F04%2Fwebrtc-charter.html
>
> The groups work includes the WebRTC specification (real-time
> communication between browsers) and a number of specifications
> related to media capture and media streams, many of which we
> implement.

Based on off-list feedback, I'm planning to submit the following
comment (as a "suggests changes to this Charter, and only supports
the proposal if the changes are adopted [Formal Objection]"):

-David

-----
As previously reported at
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-charter/issues/51 we believe the
following piece of the charter is problematic:

  The highest priority of the group in this charter period will be to
  get the core recommendations progressed towards Recommendation
  status. To that end, features that are not demonstrated to be
  implemented by at least two browsers withih the timeframes indicated
  will be removed from the specifications. Depending on their nature,
  they may be republished as extension specification, or simply
  dropped.

for the following reasons:

1. We don't believe the plan for this procedure has the consensus of
the working group.

2. This reflects a reversal of the basic understanding that we would
make decisions on a consensus basis. We don't have a problem with
the WG deciding to remove features, but that should be a WG
decision, with holding the spec until there is consensus on how to
proceed as an option.

3. This is particularly problematic in WebRTC, which is explicitly a
collaboration with IETF, and thus decisions need to be made jointly.
-----

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.