On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Nathan Froyd <nfr...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> We have generally trusted people to use good judgement in what they
> use and how much review is required.  Accordingly, I think you should
> request review from the people who would normally review your code,
> and if you have concerns about specific crates that are being
> vendored, you should call those crates out as needing especial review.
> If you or your reviewers think such reviews fall outside of your
> comfort zone/area of expertise/Rust capabilities, please flag myself
> or Ehsan, and we will work on finding people to help.

I know that enumerating badness is never a comprehensive solution; but
maybe there could be a wiki page we could point people to for things that
indicate something is doing something scary in Rust?  This might let us
crowd-source these reviews in a safer manner. For example, what would I
look for in a crate to see if it was:
 - Adjusting memory permissions
 - Reading/writing to disk
 - Performing unsafe C/C++ pointer stuff
 - Performing network connections of any type
 - Calling out to syscalls or other kernel functions (especially win32k.sys
functions on Windows)
 - (whatever else you can think of...)

-tom