On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 9:23 PM, Nicholas Nethercote <n.netherc...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> This is a good example of how prefs is a far more general mechanism than I
> would like, leading to all manner of use and abuse. "All I want is a
> key-value store, with fast multi-threaded access, where the keys aren't
> known ahead of time."

​Prefs might be a terrible way to implement that functionality, but it's
been used that way as long as we've had prefs in Mozilla so there seems to
be a need for it. Early offenders: printer setup, mail accounts, external
protocol handlers (and I believe content-type handlers, but those moved out
long ago). Possibly inspired by the way the Windows registry was used.

-Dan Veditz