On 2018-11-01 3:06 PM, Nicholas Alexander wrote:
Like the existing "Android 4.2" and "Android 4.3" test platforms, these
tests run in an Android emulator running in a docker container (the same
Ubuntu-based image used for linux64 tests).  The new platform runs an x86
emulator using kvm acceleration, enabling tests to run much, much faster
than on the older platforms. As a bonus, the new platform uses Android 7.0
("Nougat", API 24) - more modern, more relevant.

This is incredibly awesome news!  For those not in the know, the reason
this is so noteworthy is that most cloud-based hosts don't expose KVM
acceleration, since it can be a sec concern.  In particular, AWS doesn't
expose KVM to most (all?) instances.  There's an awful lot of plumbing
required to get jobs running in different cloud hosts... but here we are.

Our Android test coverage has been sparse in the past because slow ARM emulators and devices were a bottleneck. Being able to run Android tests on x86 at "desktop speed" means we can greatly improve our test coverage on Android!