On 30/01/19 17:26, Mike Conley wrote:
> That's a good question. I haven't yet noticed any difference yet, but
> I'm hoping people can keep an eye out to see if there's appreciable lag
> when switching back to a tab with video, or if background audio starts
> to stutter.
>
> (I suspect that even if we don't hear any reports, it might be better to
> be safe than sorry, and mark any background tabs that are playing media
> as "active" - I'll file a bug.)

The process priority manager already has a concept of "perceivable tabs"
(i.e. ones that are playing some form of audio) and assigns them a
higher priority compared to non-playing background ones. Unfortunately
the Windows-specific mapping of those priorities lumps them together
because Windows has only one background scheduling class. However if we
run into problems like skipping or jittering audio it will be trivial to
put them back in the normal priority class.

 Gabriele