TL;DR - In bug 1543241 (alias 'mach-busted'), we now have a central
clearinghouse of bugs for broken mozilla-central tooling. You can invoke
|./mach busted| to get a list of known outstanding issues, and |./mach
busted file| to report a new one.

Few things burn up productivity quite like broken tooling. If a developer
cannot build, launch, test, or debug the code, they cannot meaningfully
work on it.

We’ve made significant progress in recent years towards tools that break
less often. This work comes in various forms: making the tools more robust
and automatic, testing them better, sandboxing them, and reducing the
supported configuration matrix. This is great stuff - but voluminous
technical debt and limited resources mean we aren’t yet at the doorstep of
a world where tools never break.

In the short term though, we can substantially mitigate the impact of
tooling breakage by reducing the average time spent getting people back on
their feet. Historically, the developer experience in these situations
tends to look like this: https://bholley.net/images/productivity.gif

This happens because we lack a reliable way to steer developers around
known pitfalls while they’re being fixed. Filing a bug isn’t a good way to
get immediate answers, and searching all of Bugzilla is hit-or-miss. An IRC
ping often works, but one needs to guess which person got all the previous
pings about this same issue and therefore knows the workaround. In
practice, this results in a barrage of pings to a few catch-all experts,
who then have less bandwidth to fix the tools.

My hope is that mach-busted can help by centralizing all the active
showstoppers in a list that’s easy for both the users and maintainers of
the tools to scan. This only works if the list stays small - so if the
proper fix will take time, we should land a temporary fix to make the tool
fail gracefully with a suggested workaround (see bug 1542862 for an
example).

It also only works if developers record new problems they encounter with
|./mach busted file|. You may have already tumbled into the lava, but you
can save many future lemmings from the same fate.