On 6/7/2019 9:36 AM, Kris Maglione wrote:
On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 09:18:38AM +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
For late shutdown cleanup, we have nsLayoutStatics::Shutdown(). Do we
have a similar method for running things as soon as we've decided that
the application is going to shut down?

(I know there are observer topics, but I'm trying to avoid having to
create an observer object and to make sure that _it_ gets cleaned up
properly.)

Observers are automatically cleaned up at XPCOM shutdown, so you generally don't need to worry too much about them. That said, nsIAsyncShutdown is really the way to go when possible. But it currently requires an unfortunate amount of boilerplate.

Note that on Android, you may never get an opportunity for a clean shutdown because the OS can kill your app at any time.

I don't know what is the recommendation for shutdown activities on Android. The GeckoView team has had some recent bugs caused by shutdown tasks not running (e.g. committing cached font files or deleting temp files). I think these tasks were moved to startup or scheduled to run periodically.