Just to wrap things up nicely, Gijs found the answer for me: mochitests run with e10s by default, even though Thunderbird's prefs are set for no e10s. Setting --disable-e10s makes my test work.

(This is something that *would* work on the CI but not for me locally – now that would be a change from the usual!)

GL