My gut tells me that there would be fallout with users. I've been personally
told by more than one user that they are unwilling to use browsers without it,
as they feel like user-unfriendly relics.

As such I would recommend not removing it unless Blink does. I suspect that if
we can handle the compat fallout, we should document well our heuristics and
try to standardize them properly. Blink should at least agree to that much if
they want to push the notion, and it does seem worthy of that much effort if
users truly are that invested.

I suspect that if we can give our compat addon an easy way to specify sites
which need an opt-out, that might ease the pain. Likewise, as obnoxious as the
thought is, perhaps giving sites a standard way to opt out of anchoring could
be a reasonable compromise, depending on developer feedback.