On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM <rpedr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would agree that these changes and changes that have already occurred
> over the last year or so, have broken access to admin consoles of older
> networking kit. I had to pull a WinXP machine out of storage recently to
> manage an HP 2610 switch.

For the foreseeable future, we will retain the pref
(security.tls.version.min, accessible through about:config) that will allow
individual overrides for this default configuration.  I expect that we will
eventually remove this capability and you will have to go searching for
insecure software so that you can do insecure things.  I appreciate the
pain this causes, but the fact is that the Internet is a sufficiently
hostile environment that all devices connected to it really do need an
up-to-date version of important software, especially networking software.

Ultimately, there isn't a good distinction between devices that are on the
(big "I") Internet and devices that are on (private) networks. For
instance, we don't want to have airport or coffee shop WiFi being able to
access the sorts of exceptions we create for your home network.

If this is sufficiently widespread, we might look into what it would take
to build in some way to override on a per-host basis or carve out
exceptions for private numbering spaces, but we need to be very careful
about opening avenues for attack.