Thanks to all who replied, including Kris whose reply seems to have not made it back to the list. As per usual when I ask for help I've been immediately distracted by something more urgent and not got back to the problem at hand. :-/

As some pointed out this would be a lot easier if I was exclusively in JS-land or in C++-land, but I'm not. Nor am I starting something new from scratch, which also be easier.

I'm modernising some existing components while trying to avoid wholesale rewriting of major parts of the program. There are multiple pieces in both languages and they all interact. Also some of this code is *really* old in Mozilla terms, which is, um, helpful…

GL