Hi all,

With Firefox 81 merging to mozilla-release later today, we are nearing the
end of the Nightly 82 cycle.

In order to avoid invalidating the testing we get out of late Nightly
and to ensure that we can roll out 82 Betas to a wider audience with
confidence, we'd like to ask that any risky changes be avoided from
Thursday September 17 until after the version bump to 83 on September 21.

Some reminders for the soft code freeze period:

Do:
- Be ready to back out patches that cause crash spikes, new crashes, severe
regressions
- Monitor new regressions and escalate merge blockers
- Support release management by prioritizing fixing of merge blockers

Do Not:
- Land a risky patch or a large patch
- Land new features (that affect the current Nightly version) — be mindful
that code behind NIGHTLY_BUILD or RELEASE_OR_BETA ifdefs can lead to
unexpected CI results
- Flip prefs that enable new Features that were untested in the Nightly
cycle
- Plan to kick off new experiments that might impact a feature's merge
readiness

Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns.

Thanks,
Julien and the release management team