‎I like the general idea here. It's similar to how you download a file in the
background while still giving it the name and directory you want. In this case
you are downloading content while simultaneously deciding if it is trustworthy.

That said there are 2 issues to consider. The first is that any content you
receive can be used against you by installing malware and such. This is the
primary (and easiest) way to pwn your device. This risk / attack vector is a
far more menacing threat than MITM--for my money anyway.

So what this means is that all files received would have to be treated with
care before they can be used. This means not only html and javascript of course
but also css files and images. Still, I think there are ways this can be
managed such that you get the performance benefit without necessarily
compromising security.

The second issue is one of privacy. Anything you send, including the URL path,
can be used to identify you and reveal information about you. This is how email
marketers try to figure out if you've read their message. So, when it comes to
communicating on a partially secured link, you want to be aware of how much you
actually want to reveal. Personally I don't see this risk as being any worse
than using the Internet generally, but still something to keep in mind.

‎Like I said, I think this a good idea and is worth developing further. Would
be good to get feedback from some of the Mozilla dev's though.