I’m trying out COMODO’s free S/MIME cert. On recipient machines, however, a warning is shown that the certificate was signed by an unknown authority, “COMODO Client Authentication and Secure Email CA.”

Indeed, Thunderbird appears to hold no such authority certificate. According to Comodo, it should be as follows.

1) AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt - Root
2) COMODOClientAuthenticationandSecureEmailCA.crt - Intermediate
3) UTNAddTrustClient_CA.crt - Intermediate

The first one appears to be included in Thunderbird, but the other two aren’t. I find it hard to believe Comodo would expect recipients of signed messages to install these, but Comodo’s support is saying this is so.