On Fri, August 29, 2014 8:04 am, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
>  Good point.  I don't think we spell it out, but I don't think anyone wants
>  people using the same keys for both SSL and code signing.  CAs are
>  prohibited from using the same intermediate for both SSL and code signing,
>  but we should also add something that requires the Subscriber to use
>  separate sets of keys.
>
>  Jeremy

Except it's a requirement without teeth.

That is, a subscriber could go to CA A with Key 1 and get an SSL
certificate, and CA B with Key 1 and get a code-signing certificate.

Is CA B expected to monitor public Certificate Transparency logs looking
for examples where the private key has been used in an SSL certificate?

I agree that the spec doesn't say anything in the current draft, because
key hygiene is one of those things you can't enforce (although the CS
draft does attempt to do so, at Microsoft's behest, in requiring a HSM -
which opens itself open to a whole new licensing landmine field of trying
to determine precisely how it's in an HSM short of mailing the customer an
HSM)

When I read requires, I think MUST, and if you're suggesting that it's not
the case, but merely that the draft gently recommends key hygeine much
like CAs gently recommend revocation checking, sure. I just think you'll
have a hard time embodying that at MUST level.