Coming in late to the party...

This discussion seems pretty wildly off-target to me, at least from a browser
perspective.

>From a browser perspective, I don't care at all whether certificates excused
>from containing revocation URLs if they're sufficiently short lived.  I can
>look at the validity interval and make a decision to check revocation or not,
>regardless of whether the OCSP URI is there or not.  In fact, a short-lived
>cert with an OCSP URI gets the benefit of added speed from browsers that
>suppress OCSP for short-lived certs, while at the same time working with
>legacy browsers.

>From a CA perspective, though, I can see how this is important, since it lets
>you reduce the load on your OCSP server, or maybe even get rid of it.

So in units of Gerv's options below, the only action for Mozilla is (2).  We
could do (0) in addition, or support similar efforts by CAs to get the BRs
update to let them out of OCSP obligations for short-lived certs.  Honestly, I
would prefer if CAs led, since they're the ones that benefit.

--Richard