On Mon, September 22, 2014 11:23 am, Chris Palmer wrote:
>  On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl>
>  wrote:
> >> ** Could the TACK key be the origin key?
> >
> > Is TACK still going anywhere? The mailing list suggests it's dead.
>
>  But one could imagine it being resuscitated, if it were a way to get a
>  long-lived cryptographic identity for an origin.

I have great respect for those responsible for TACK, and they have been
invaluable in discovering and discussing the limitations of HPKP.

However, as potentially foot-gun as HPKP is, TACK is exponentially larger,
in that (and yes, this is anecdata, but one you can find backed up at most
organizations), key lifecycle management remains the single biggest
challenge for organizations.

TACKs design - especially with an offline key - is one that we know is
dangerous. The same environmental factors that lead to SHA-1 deprecation
being hard (organizations wanting to have long-lived certs, then
forgetting the organizational knowledge necessary to
manage/rotate/re-issue those certs, as one example) contribute to TACK
being a great way to brick things.

That is, the TSK is almost invariably going to get lost, or someone will
forget the password, or the person who creates the TSK will forget to back
it up and format their machine, or any number of things we _routinely_ see
with SSL certs (and precisely why implicit pinning to EE certs is hard).
The only people who will be able to safely deploy TACK are a subset of
those who can safely deploy HPKP.