Hi Gerv,
        I can send out a million client certificates for negligible
cost.
That is especially attractive cost-wise for an existing system that I
have to increase the security of (say over username and password), but
which has not been identified as needing 2 factor authentication.
Sending out a million anythings by snail-mail is spendy.

If you could rely on the user already having the number-sequence widget,
or of having a virtual widget on their smartphone (like Google
Authenticator) then the cost argument is irrelevant.

Regards
Robin