From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org]
 On Behalf Of John Nagle
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:37 PM
To: dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: dev-security-policy Digest, Vol 70, Issue 24

> From: Gervase Markham<g...@mozilla.org> You forgot 0) Having
> sufficient trust in the validation of that information to want to
> present it to users. That is what we do not have for organizational
> information with anything short of EV.

    Two years ago, before the CA/Browser Forum issued the Baseline Guidelines,
that was a reasonable position. There's been considerable progress since then.
CA/Browser Forum members now commit to the Baseline Guidelines if they issue
certificates with Policy OIDs associated with data standards and relying party
assurances given in their Certification Practice Statement.  In other words,
there are standards for this now.

    Most CAs who issue SSL certs now recognize three levels of certificate. The
terminology varies. Some use the terms DV, OV, and EV.
Many European CA's use the terms Class 1, 2, and 3 certificates.
SwissSign calls them Silver, Gold, and Platinum.  It's necessary to read
through all the Certification Practice Statements and collect the relevant
Policy OIDs associated with each level of assurance.

    I have been doing this.  The current data can be seen at

https://github.com/John-Nagle/certscan/tree/master/data/catypetable.ods

which is an OpenOffice/LibreOffice spreadsheet.

As you can see, almost all the big players have an OV-level product.
The main exception is Comodo, which only offers two levels, DV and EV.  Some of
the European CA's don't offer DV certs at all.

Some of the CPS documents are hard to translate.  Help with the problems listed
in the "Notes" column of that table would be appreciated.

The CV/Browser Forum and the CAs have done most of the job.
Now we have good organization data to use.

                                John Nagle
                                SiteTruth