On Fri, November 7, 2014 1:26 pm, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
>  On 11/7/14, 2:07 AM, Chema López wrote:
> > If "the WebTrust EV audit criteria includes the Baseline Requirements
> > audit
> > criteria" and, "In other words, the WebTrust EV audit statement will
> > also
> > suffice as the WebTrust BR audit statement", why is required for CAs to
> > pay
> > for three seals? Maybe it is enough to hold WT4CA and WTEV.
> >
> >   Even more, if the approach is as the following picture shows, why
> > would it
> > be necessary to have a WT4CA?
> >

>  Many CA hierarchies include both non-EV SSL and EV SSL certificates.
>  The WTEV audit covers the issuance of EV SSL certificates.
>  The WT4CA audit is needed for the non-EV SSL certificates.
>  But the WT4CA audit does not include the WTBR audit.
>
>  So, I believe that you do have a point that if a CA hierarchy may *only*
>  be used for EV certificates, and the CP/CPS clearly states this, then
>  the WTEV audit alone is sufficient. Does anyone disagree?
>
>  However, if non-EV SSL certificates are also issued in the same CA
>  hierarchy, then the WT4CA and WTBR audits are also needed.
>
>  By the way, I think the topic of "seal" is slightly different. I am OK
>  with all 3 of the audit statements being combined into the same pdf. I
>  also am OK with a CA not having their audit statement posted on the
>  webtrust.org website -- it just means I have to do a little extra work
>  to check with the auditor to make sure the audit statement is authentic.
>
>  Kathleen

Kathleen,

In order for Mozilla to recognize a root as EV, it must first be
recognized as a root for SSL certificate issuance. If a certificate is
issued by that root as non-EV, it will still be trusted for SSL.

The concern with your current proposal is that it creates a hole for
'intent' - that is, certificates in the hierarchy 'not intended' for EV
may be excluded from the EV audit - much in the same way Mozilla has had
to deal with the problem of 'intent' in the BRs by adding Clauses 8 and 10
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/inclusion/

I guess my pushback would be wanting to better understand the language you
believe should be added to the CP/CPS to clarify the EV-only nature of a
root, since that will be the measure of how well 'intent' is
distinguished.