On Mon, December 22, 2014 3:16 pm, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>  Ryan Sleevi <ryan-mozdevsecpol...@sleevi.com> writes:
>
> >DSA certificates are complicated due to parameter inheritance through the
> >chain - which few get right, but which add ambiguity for path building
> > and
> >processing. DSA certificates cannot be used for certificate pinning in
> > some
> >cases because of this inherent ambiguity (
> >https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21#section-2.4
> > )
>
>  This is a bit of a red herring since nothing [0] actually uses this, at
>  least
>  one reason being that it allows signature forgery if you do.  So saying
>  "we
>  don't do DSA because no-one cares about it" is OK, but saying "we don't do
>  it
>  because of a feature that cryptographers threw in just because they could
>  but
>  that no-one uses" isn't really accurate.

Um, no?

The point is that it has - by design - a dangerous feature that doesn't
exist with other signature schemes. That this design exists and is
mandated is part of the complexity - either no one implements it (and for
sure, Microsoft's stack _does_ implement it, and NSS _tries_ implement
it), and which point, you don't have DSA but some DSA-prime - or it's
implemented (and it is) and presents a security risk.

> >DSA suffers from sudden death entropy failures (
> >https://www.imperialviolet.org/2013/06/15/suddendeathentropy.html ) that
> > can
> >be quite fatal, and isn't justified by its benefits (compared with ECDSA)
>
>  Funny you should mention ECDSA there, since it suffers from the exact same
>  sudden-death entropy failure problem as DSA (they both have "DSA" in their
>  name for a reason).
>
>  So: stick with "we don't do DSA because no-one cares" as your reason :-).

Perhaps it wasn't unambiguously clear in my message, but the post I linked
to specifically discusses this and I acknowledge as much in my message.
However, the benefit of ECDSA (smaller signatures, smaller keys for
equivalent security) offers a compelling reason, and RFC 6979 exists as a
mitigation.

The argument here is not "we don't do DSA because no-one cares", but "we
don't do DSA because the risks are high and there are no benefits relative
to those risks"