Hi,
i'm working for a company that is issuing trusted SSL OV certificates as a
subsidiary CA. I was thinking about becoming a trusted root CA in order to get
rid of the fees per each issued certificate to be given to actual root CA.

I'm not really sure about needed activities.
Trying to schematize them in two steps, here is my guess:
1 - Creation of a self signed CA certificate;
2 - Submission to a third party Audit (i.e. vs WebTrust program, baseline and
for publicly trusted certificates);
3 - Submission to Mozilla Root Certificate Program.

Am i missing something?