On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 02/04/15 12:42, Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:
>> the plan would be to continue allowing current certificats (perhaps
>> with some sort of whitelist) while not accepting new certificates.
>>
>> Could you ask Google to share their whitelist?
>
> Until they announced, we were not aware that Google would be requesting
> a whitelist. It is quite possible CNNIC will supply us both with the
> same data.
>
>> As far as I understand it, without an explicit whitelist nothing would
>> prevent CNNIC to backdate new certificates so that they would be
>> accepted. Is this right or am I missing something?
>
> Well, if anyone detects them doing this, by e.g. scanning the internet,
> the consequences will be serious. I have no reason to believe that they
> would backdate certs but if they did, they would need to be very
> confident that no-one would notice. If I owned CNNIC, I would not be at
> all confident of this.

Organizations are funny things.

Facing a choice of coming clean, admitting a mistake and moving on
versus a cover up, pretty much every rational CEO will choose the
first.

Faced with a choice between getting fired for making a mistake and
making a pathetic attempt to cover up with a small chance of success,
a rational junior manager will choose the second.

I think we need to rethink how the principle of least privilege
applies here and make sure we are doing everything we can to minimize
risk.

As a matter of policy, no cert should ever issue for a private key
that is not under the direct control of a CA unless one of the
following apply to the corresponding cert:

1) The other party has CP, CPS and full audit for operating a CA.
2) There is a name constraint.
3) It is an end entity certificate.

Further no private key should ever be in a network accessible device
unless the following apply:

1) There is a path length constraint that limits issue to EE certs.
2) It is an end entity certificate.

Perhaps we should take this to the IETF right key list.