There's one thing that I still do not understand.

Assuming that Mozilla removes the email trust bit from NSS from all roots, when happens afterwards to the S/MIME certificates that have been imported in Thunderbird personal store and are being used for signing and/or encrypting emails?
Will they they keep on working, or will they stop working ?

I believe the S/MIME capability of Thunderbird is a valuable asset, and I hope that the email trust bit removal will not kill that capability.
Love it or not, S/MIME is also supported by various Microsoft email clients (Outlook, OWA, Live Mail ...), by Apple Mail, and by IBM Notes, to cite only a few well known ones.

- Adriano