Based on writing the code to these checks, I think it would be good
for the CAB Forum to consider the following clarifications/changes:

1) for dNSname type GeneralNames, make sure implementers are aware
that the "preferred name synatx" in RFC1034  does not allow a trailing
period on a Domain Name (example.com. is not valid) and are aware that
leading and trailing whitespace is not allowed.

2) For commonName attributes in subject DNs, clarify that they can only contain:
- IPv4 address in dotted-decimal notation (specified as IPv4address
from section 3.2.2 of RFC 3986)
- IPv6 address in coloned-hexadecimal notation (specified as
IPv6address from section 3.2.2 of RFC 3986)
- Fully Qualified Domain Name or Wildcard Domain Name in the
"preferred name syntax" (specified by Section 3.5 of RFC1034 and as
modified by Section 2.1 of RFC1123)
- Fully Qualified Domain Name or Wildcard Domain Name in containing
u-labels (as specified in RFC 5890)

3) Forbid commonName attributes in subject DNs from containing a Fully
Qualified Domain Name or Wildcard Domain Name that contains both one
or more u-labels and one or more a-labels (as specified in RFC 5890).

4) Forbid all IP addresses that are listed in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml
or in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-special-registry.xhtml
except those with global = true.

If the Forum decides to allow an exception to RFC 5280 to permit IP
address strings in dNSName general names, then require the same format
as allowed for common names.

Thanks,
Peter