On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 08:04:41 UTC, Peter Bowen  wrote:
> Inspired by Rob Stradling's work
> (https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2015-November/006269.html), I
> wrote a quick tool to check that commonNames and Subject Alternative
> Names in server auth certificates issued by public CAs were following
> the CA/Browser Forum baseline requirements.
>
> The resulting report of anomalies is available at
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lJt-1tkgKcbw5woEr4-tcpqB-M-HKwjFNSdX2jla2EU/edit?usp=sharing
>
> The rules are a rather strict interpretation of RFC 5280 and the
> Baseline Requirements.  Notably, it will complain if FQDNs are not
> converted to ASCII (as defined in 7.2 and 7.3 of RFC 5280) and will
> complain if there is an IP address flaged as a dNSName in a
> Generalized Name.
>
> There are a couple of rules that may create false positives, so please
> don't assume every certificate on the sheet is problematic.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I've found one of the certificates here (*.gov.bn, Symantec issued) seems to
contain some NULL characters in the SAN.

https://crt.sh/?serial=331C896050CE23EFAB5CF53237AF093F
and
https://crt.sh/?id=7335256

Wasn't there an issue with spoofing using NULs in certificates several years
ago?
Verisign back then claimed this couldn't be done, but the cert is recent.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/busy-day-black-hat