On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:34 PM, David E. Ross <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On 1/7/2016 12:29 PM, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
>> On 1/7/16 11:15 AM, Peter Bowen wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Until such time that the provide this, I don't see how they are any
>>> different from the thousands of private PKIs that are run by companies
>>> for their own use.  Many of those PKIs may be used to MITM
>>> connections.
>>
>> OK. I suppose that means I should go ahead and start the information
>> verification process for this request.
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:How_to_apply#Information_Verification
>>

>>> All CAs should be held to the same standard when asking for admission
>>> to the Mozilla program, this is no different.
>>
>> That's very logical.
>> I was sort of hoping to avoid spending the time doing the Information
>> Verification if I didn't have to.
>>
>> Kathleen
>>

> I suggest deferring any effort on this request other than informing the
> certification authority that they need audits both for WebTrust for CA
> and for BR.  That notice should also indicate that, without PROPER
> audits with public-facing audit reports, no action can be taken.
>
> No other effort should be expended on this.

I agree 100%.  MITM implies that they are not following BR, as there
is no way they can be validating domain control[1].  This should mean
that they cannot complete a BR audit without having a massive
qualification on the report.

Mozilla gets lots of requests for inclusion which are summarily closed
because the request does not meet the requirements; this should be
treated the same.

Thanks,
Peter

[1] I can imagine exactly one way they could claim to simultaneously
meet the BRs and issue MITM certificates: claim they are using a
practical control method and show that from their vantage point they
have practical control of the Internet.  They could even modify HTTP
do the same.  Obviously this is not the intent of practical control
validation but would be an interesting tactic.