On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 11:24:31 AM UTC-5, cub...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 12:08:10 AM UTC+1, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > As was in the news before, Kazakhstan has issued a national MITM
> > Certificate Agency.
> >
> > Is there a policy on what to do with these? While they are not trusted,
> > would it be useful to explicitely blacklist these, as to make it
> > impossible to trust even if the user "wanted to" ?
> >
> > The CA's are available here:
> > http://root.gov.kz/root_cer/rsa.php
> > http://root.gov.kz/root_cer/gost.php
> >
> > One site that uses these CA's is:
> > https://pki.gov.kz/index.php/en/forum/
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hi there,
>
> If I may briefly jump in with a small observation regarding the above certs:
> in both, the issuer is different from the subject, which is rather unusual.
> Isn't that a problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sven Faw
> @hexatomium

Correct, this is because the submitted certificate download URL is wrong:

> http://pki.gov.kz/cert/pki_rsa.cer

If you pull this certificate and look at it's AIA, then pull the authoritative
certificate from the url:

> openssl x509 -inform der -in pki_rsa.cer -text -noout
> ..
> Authority Information Access:
>     CA Issuers - URI:http://root.gov.kz/cert/root_rsa.cer

You can then verify its fingerprint, startdate and enddate match the inclusion
request (adjusting for Alma-Ata local time which us UTC+6).

Also no test URL is provided.
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Information_checklist #11).

Brian