From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org]
 On Behalf Of Jakob Bohm
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:49 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: SHA1 certs issued this year chaining to included roots

On 19/01/2016 02:49, Charles Reiss wrote:
> Via censys.io, I found a couple SHA-1 certs with notBefore dates from
> this year which chain to root CAs in Mozilla's program:
>
> - https://crt.sh/?id=12089828 -- chains to Baltimore CyberTrust Root
> [DigiCert] via subCA "Eurida Primary CA" via subCA "DnB NOR ASA PKI Class G"
>
> Also, the OCSP responder for this certificate appears to not include a
> nextUpdate field.

Does the OCSP spec say what "no nextUpdate" should default to?  Like maybe
"dontcache, expires instantly".

> - https://crt.sh/?id=12090324 -- chains to Security Communication
> RootCA1 [SECOM] via subCA "YourNet SSL for business"
>
> Also, this certificate is also missing OCSP information and appears to
> be being served without OCSP stapling support.

If there is no OCSP, it obviously cannot be stapled.

In addition to the above, note that *code signing* and *document
signing* certificates may be issued after the deadline for SSL SHA-1
certificates, because some important relying party software cannot be upgraded
to support modern signature hash algorithms (most notably Microsoft platforms
released before 2009).

Such compatibility SHA-1 certificates typically have to chain to existing roots
too (again because of relying party software limitations).

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  https://www.wisemo.com Transformervej
29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10 This public discussion