Note that is only for roots submitted after Jan 1, 2016. Roots submitted prior
to Jan 1 2016 are unaffected.

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org]
 On Behalf Of Jakob Bohm
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2016 4:55 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: SHA-1 S/MIME certificates

On 01/04/2016 12:44, Varga Viktor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My replies are inline marked with ***
>
> regards, Viktor Varga / Netlock

Microsoft has deprecated SHA-1 in the root store policy for roots with the
"code signing" trust bit, but only for the root stores on Windows 7 or later,
and with special exceptions for roots that are in both Vista and Windows 7
stores.  In fact Microsoft has phrased their entire SHA-1 deprecation policy as
a change in their root store policy, even the parts that describe changes in
the acceptance of end certificates on a context specific basis.

> 2) The browsers are already deploying code to reject SHA1 certificates
> encountered. If this is true, what is the harm in continued SHA1 client
> certificate issuance until the national schemes have all updated their
> requirements? Mozilla is protected but the national bodies (and financial
> institutions) can continue using their software for client authentication. I
> do think we should move to SHA2, but I don't think the prior notice has
> occurred with respect to SHA1 client certs.
>
> *** In Hungary, we had legislation to use sha256 only, so we completely moved
> to sha256.
>
> *** I think ist much bigger problem for the usage of certs is the same origin
> policy.
> *** The remove of NPAPI, Java support and the windows.crypto gives the real
> problem for web applications here in Hungary, especcially for the
> governmental applications, because the are using one of the technologies i
> mentioned, and the need to move on quickly.

Fortunately, there are Mozilla forks which maintain at least NPAPI.

> On 30/03/2016 18:49, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
>> All,

>> following question from a CA. I think we should discuss it here,
>> because I suspect there will be other CAs in this same situation.
>>
>>   > We have a problem since we still issue SHA-1 S/MIME  >
>> certificates. Do we really have to stop issue after 2017?
>>
>> I will appreciate your thoughtful and constructive input into setting
>> reasonable expectations for CAs in regards to SHA-1 S/MIME certificates.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kathleen
>
> I would suggest the following minimum requirements:
>
> 1. Any 3rd party certificates using outdated certificate signing
>     algorithms (such as certificates signed using SHA-1) must be issued
>     under dedicated subCAs with as many technical constraints in the
>     subCA's certificate validity as possible, such as restrictions in key
>     usage, extended key usage, subCA validity period and distinguished
>     name ("path name restrictions").  Mozilla will allow the issuing and
>     reissuing of a reasonably low number of such SubCAs, provided they
>     chain only through and to certificates that use the same or older
>     outdated signing algorithm.  (For example SHA-1 certificates should
>     be issued by a technically restricted SHA-1 SubCA that chains to an
>     old SHA-1 (or older) root cert).
>

> *** just one suggestion: define a minimum key length also.

Indeed, hence why I keep saying "outdated certificate signing algorithms" with
SHA-1 as just a current example.

> [...]
>     CAs that have few remaining valid certificates and are mostly
>     reissuing CRLs to provide trusted lists of historic revocation dates.
>
> 6. Any other CA usage of outdated signing algorithms in signatures
>     traceable to Mozilla trusted roots must include CA generated random
>     values that are not known by the 3rd party prior to issuance (and
>     thus prior to request generation). Any such random values must
>     contain the same number of bits as the signing hash (e.g. 20
>     bytes/160 bits for SHA-1 signed certificates). Any such random
>     values must occur before most (preferably all) 3rd party supplied
>     data elements to protect against prefix collision based attacks.  For
>     example CRLs could include revocation of one or more never-issued
>     certificates with random serial numbers at both ends of the CRL.
>      Similarly, OCSP responses for actually issued certificates should be
>     pre-generated independent of incoming OCSP requests and include the
>     random values as close to the beginning of the response as
>     technically possible.  Dynamically generated OCSP responses (for
>     multiple certicates, never-issued certificates etc.) should include a
>     random value before any request-supplied values totaling more than
>     half the number of bits in the signing hash.
>
> 7. Mozilla would prefer if issuers of such certificates with outdated
>     signing algorithms stand up a new root certificate, which is
>     self-signed with a modern signing algorithm and will not be used to
>     sign (directly or indirectly) certificates with lesser algorithms.
>     The CA should also publish a date after which the old root cert used
>     for issuing certificates with lesser signing algorithms will no
>     longer be the root of still-valid certificates with modern signing
>     algorithms.  Mozilla will remove most trust bits from the old root
>     certificate on or before that date, but will include (in its master
>     list, but not necessarily in its software releases) an indication of
>     the extent to which the old root certificate is valid for
>     (re)checking old data provably from before the cut-off date, such as
>     externally time stamped documents and/or recipient time-stamped
>     e-mails.
>
> 8. When standing up such a replacement root CA, Mozilla will understand
>     that the switch to using the new root CA for issuing certificates
>     with modern signing algorithms will be delayed by the time it takes
>     to deploy the new root in all relevant software releases and updates,
>     not just those of Mozilla.  For example use of a new root CA for
>     signing S/MIME e-mail certificates would await its inclusion in both
>     Mozilla Thunderbird, the vast majority of 3rd party e-mail clients
>     and the OS level root CA list of most operating systems releases,
>     such as Microsoft Windows and the various Linux distributions.
>
> 9. All procedures performed to comply with the above rules must be
>     documented in the relevant CPS and verified by the annual audit.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  https://www.wisemo.com Transformervej
29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10 This public discussion