On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:53 AM, Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:44:54 PM UTC-7, Richard Barnes wrote:
> > Right, if the monitors are trying to identify all the valid certs, then
> > it's very important for them to have a full list of intermediates.  Maybe
> > this is yet another positive use of this data set.
>
> Right, but I think the longer-goal is to get it into CT.
>
> > (Note that the same
> > concern would apply to logs filtering on ingress.)
>
> Logs shouldn't be filtering on ingress, ideally ;)
>
> > It's mainly the discontinuity of Intermediate 2 suddenly transitioning
> from
> > the "constrained, so no worries" state to the "needs to be fully
> disclosed
> > and audited" state that worries me.  Especially when you consider that
> > there could be a whole chain of intermediates above Intermediate 2, any
> one
> > of which could cause this state transition.
>
> Who is the concern for? The operators of Intermediate 2? The operators of
> Intermediate 1? The operators of Root B?
>
> > As you note below, it would be incumbent on the issuer of the
> unconstrained
> > intermediate 1'  to assure compliance.  But, you know, we see these
> "oops,
> > I missed that one" events all the time around here.
>
> Isn't another way to address that via technical means? Such as
> whitelisting (disclosed) intermediates and only allowing (undisclosed)
> intermediates if they chain to a constrained intermediate?
>
> That's fundamentally our goal with Certificate Transparency, but even in
> the absence of precerts-in-an-Intermediate (which CAs can totally be doing
> today *cough*), you could still devise technical means to address that.

Oh totally.  We are already looking at extending OneCRL to do a whitelist
of this sort.  In fact, I think I said up-thread that this would make the
CoAP policy OK because it would limit the universe of possible paths.

> > The fact that existing policy does apply here is the reason I'm saying I
> > can live with CoAP.  But requiring each intermediate to be constrained
> > seems more conservative, because it avoids surprise and makes monitoring
> > more straightforward.
>
> I suppose I can buy that. If we had a hypothetical world where, say, every
> Intermediate had to be accompanied by a requisite number of SCTs, or was
> perhaps a whitelist driven by public CT data, or was driven by a whitelist
> driven by Salesforce, would you still see that as valuable?
>
> I agree with you that it's conservative, and also provides greater defense
> in depth, but at greater overhead, so I'm wondering if there's a world
> where we can have both our speed and our disclosures, and have technical
> enforcement for both.

I think we're in violent agreement.  If we pair the CoAP policy with
whitelist / CT, we get to a pretty good state.  The only real cost is that
it you need to do some computation to figure out whether a given cert needs
to be disclosed, but I assume Rob can get that done :)

--Richard