On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 07:57:02PM +0300, Eddy Nigg wrote:
> On 08/31/2016 03:19 PM, Matt Palmer wrote:
> >That bug appears to pre-date *all* of the certificates listed above.
> >Further, the last communication on that bug (2014-09-22), from Eddy Nigg
> >(of StartCom), said:
> >>It's a hard and software related capacity issue of the queue managing the
> >>certificates and the real solution will be only available after a hardware
> >>upgrade we are planning for Nov-Dec this year.
> >So that's presumably Nov-Dec 2014... and 12 months later, duplicate serial
> >numbers were still appearing.
>
> Right, however we could limit this occurrence to a minimum at that time - an
> entirely new infrastructure was in the pipeline already which solved the
> problem completely. Please note that such infrastructures are fairly complex
> and therefore also hard to deal with sometimes. I acknowledged in the bug
> report that we were able significantly reduce this issue, though not
> eliminate entirely.

That sounds an awful lot like "we can't fix our own systems", which is a...
terrifying thought.

> >It's somewhat disconcerting that the response from StartCom in that bug
> >report was, essentially, a mixture of, "it's not our fault, the software did
> >it" and "ain't no thang".  To me, that isn't a particularly useful attitude
> >for a CA operator.  The correctness of the software which is deployed is of
> >*crucial* importance to the trustworthiness of a CA.
>
> True, but as explained above, some more drastic changes had to be done in
> order to correct this issue completely, not something done over night. The
> corrective measure and eventual implementation was however there on the way,
> even if it took some time.

"Some time" being about a year longer than you stated it would take in the
bug.  That's quite some time.

> Regarding our "attitude", even though this issue was certainly not desired,
> it wasn't comparable to a wrongful issuance leading to possible abuse - some
> client software would however stopped working when encountering a duplicate
> serial. And to my assessment this wasn't a situation which required to take
> an entire system down in order to "fix" it (which was necessary in this
> case).

You were knowingly violating a MUST provision of RFC5280.  For clarity,
would you mind listing any other MUST provisions of the relevant RFCs and
standards which you are required to adhere to as a publically-trusted CA,
just so the community can accurately assess your position?

> >Is anyone aware of any attempts by StartCom to proactively report these BR
> >violations to Mozilla or any other trust store operator, at or around the
> >time of issuance?  I don't see any mention of the 2015 misissuances in the
> >most recent BR audit report (https://startssl.com/ey-webtrust-br.pdf),
> >either.  Does this mean that StartCom were unaware that they had issued
> >these duplicate certificates, despite having a history of doing so, or did
> >they mislead their auditors?
>
> Neither - the software wasn't designed to issue certificates with duplicate
> serials, neither was that done knowingly or willfully. Since we are talking
> about an occurrence of perhaps one in 40-50 thousand certificates or less,
> it's not really something that can be measured by an auditor. What can be
> measured are software design, actions performed, implementation of plans to
> solve a particular issue.

Ryan can handle this one better than I ever could:

> The audit letter included an attestation from Management that, during the
> time of the audit, management believed that the CA complied with the
> Baseline Requirements.
>
> Management was aware of non-compliance, by virtue of revocation and system
> and procedural changes to align with compliance.
>
> Thus, do you believe it was faithful and accurate for Management to warrant
> that the CA was operated in compliance with the BRs, given that Management
> was aware of incidents of non-compliance?

- Matt