On 07/09/16 15:01, Thijs Alkemade wrote:
<snip>
> What is suspicious is:
>
> - Twice as many SHA-1 certificates being issued on a specific Sunday in
> December than the daily average that month. (Which also happens to be the
> date on the certificates which I personally got from the StartEncrypt API.)

There could be an entirely innocent explanation for this.  Lots of
people were stockpiling SHA-1 certs during December 2015.  Daily
certificate issuance rates do vary.

> - The long difference between the notBefore and the embedded SCTs, if any.
> - Some of these certificates having an almost identical copy issued using
> SHA-256 on a date in January. If the SHA-1 cert has embedded SCTs, then the
> SHA-256 cert has them too and the SCTs of both certs are less than a minute
> apart.
>
> Of course, I can’t present hard cryptographic evidence that these
> certificates did not exist then, but I fear nothing can.

Indeed.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
  3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
  Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.