As hinted at in my earlier email about what is expected in audit
reports, I've been looking at WebTrust audit reports from many CAs in
the Mozilla program and those applying to be in the program.

Since there has been lots of discussion about WoSign and Startcom
recently, I took a look at their latest reports.  I thought others
might be interested in the result.

Thanks,
Peter

Review of WoSign audit reports
for the period 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015

Good:
- Uses AICPA standards
- Uses current criteria versions

Bad:
- Only covers three roots, not subordinate CAs (true for all three
reports: CA, BR, and EV)
- Does not provide assurance that subordinate CA certificate requests
are accurate, authenticated, and approved

Really Bad:
- Includes 'emphasis of matters' which show failures of controls but
still claims to be an unqualified opinion
- The EV opinion does not note that some of the EV certificates using
a SHA-1 hash in the signature have expiration dates after 2016-12-31

Review of StartCom audit reports
for the period 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015

Good:
- Uses AICPA standards
- Uses current criteria versions

Bad:
- Only covers two roots, not subordinate CAs (true for all three
reports: CA, BR, and EV)
- Does not provide assurance that subordinate CA certificate requests
are accurate, authenticated, and approved
- Does not provide assurance that it meets the Network and Certificate
System Security Requirements as set forth by the CA/Browser Forum