* Kathleen Wilson:

> The following was stated in Mozilla’s March 2016 CA Communication
> (https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Communications#March_2016):
> Beginning with Version 2.1 of Mozilla's CA Certificate Policy, for any
> certificate which directly or transitively chains to the root
> certificates you currently have included in Mozilla's CA Certificate
> Program, which are capable of being used to issue new certificates,
> and which are not technically constrained as described in Section 9 of
> Mozilla's CA Certificate Inclusion Policy, you are required to provide
> public-facing documentation about the certificate verification
> requirements and annual public attestation of conformance to said
> requirements. This includes certificates owned by, operated by, or
> issued by third parties, whether or not those issuing certificates are
> already part of Mozilla's CA Certificate Program, if they have been
> cross-signed by a certificate that directly or transitively chains to
> your root certificate.

Does this requirement apply transitively sub-CAs of sub-CAs?

It may make sense to stress explicitly that the “technically
constrained” refers to properties visible in the certificates
themselves, not technical measures in the certificate issuance process
(which I would consider organizational constraints, but opinions
probably differ).

What about sub-CAs with outdated published policies which do not meet
Mozilla's requirements, but where the CA actually issues certificates
according to an unpublished policy which is likely conforming to
Mozilla's requirements?