https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-universal-ssl/

> > > 1. trust issue: Cloudflare issues certificates without asking permission
> > > or staing it in TOS or elsewhere.  Doing so when in DNS-only mode appears
> > > to me illegal.
> >
> > Illegal?  In which jurisdiction(s)?
>
> Well, If you buy a VPS and the provider creates a certificate by
> validating by adding content to your webserver, ...  we would agree that
> this is wrong, right?

It would depend on the circumstances.  However that is not what happened.

> But when I get a service to host MY DNS entries, it
> is fine if the provider manipulates them without my knowledge?  ...  But I
> have noticed that in some countries the understanding of legal and iligal
> is different.  Sad.

Which country or countries (or other legal jurisdiction) has an
understanding that Cloudflare's behaviour as described in this thread is
illegal?  You've made a fairly specific claim, I would be interested to see
the rationale for it.

> > > 2. trust issue: Cloudflare modifies the DNS entries to validate without
> > > consent of the domain owner or account holder.  Again, no mention of it in
> > > TOS or anywheer else.  So the modification is not permitted in DNS-only
> > > mode.
> >
> > So go tell Cloudflare.  Take your business elsewhere.
>
> I understand, go and just lieve with a certificate that is issued without
> my permission.  It seems that CT is useless if there are no actions are
> taken from wrong behaviour.

There are actions taken for wrong behaviour.  It's just that not every wrong
behaviour results in the same action.

I'm actually interested in what specific action you think should be taken
here, and how keeping on about it on this list will help that action to
occur.  Please, state exactly what you think should be done.

> > There is no need to keep banging on about it on this list.  Everyone here
> > knows what Cloudflare is doing, they have their opinion of it, and as a
> > group this list can do nothing about it.
> >
> > > But from the moment on when the CA (Comodo) is informed about this shady
> > > behavior by multiple domain owners / account owners, Comodo should start
> > > acting.
> >
> > As the Wikipedians say: "Citation Needed".
> >
> > - Matt
>
> Still sad that wrong behaviour of companies that trick CAs into issuing
> certificates

What trickery was involved with the CA?  Comodo requires proof of control
over the domain to issue a certificate.  $DEITY knows there are enough
perfectly legitimate reasons to look askance at Comodo, but this isn't one
of them.

Cloudflare demonstrated the required domain control to Comodo, because YOU
GAVE CONTROL TO CLOUDFLARE.  Cloudflare may well have acted in bad faith, by
taking an action you deemed unexpected or illegitimate, however that isn't
something that a browser vendor or root store program can do anything about.

- Matt