https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204132

The source code for how Apple has implemented such blocks is available
at https://opensource.apple.com/

Specifically
https://opensource.apple.com/source/Security/Security-57337.60.2/OSX/libsecurity_apple_x509_tp/lib/tpCertAllowList.c.auto.html
as called by
https://opensource.apple.com/source/Security/Security-57337.60.2/OSX/libsecurity_apple_x509_tp/lib/tpCertGroup.cpp.auto.html

You can see that the logic to check the allow list is implemented
after Keychain checks - meaning yes, users can't disable the
whitelist. You should talk to Apple if that bothers you :)