From: Hanno Böck [mailto:ha...@hboeck.de]
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:52 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Other Curves

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 22:38:54 +0000
Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com> wrote:

> Some of these curves are considered much better than the NIST curves
> (well, that’s what I’ve read anyway).

Overall they have mostly the same weaknesses than the NIST curves.
There are differences in detail, but it really doesn't justify introducing a
lot of variety in the ecosystem. But I have a pretty good idea where that
hearsay comes from, and I'm pretty sure it has little to do with security.

The modern curves like Curve25519 and Curve448 avoid many of the security
pitfalls of older curves. If you want more secure curves look at them and push
standards forward so they can be used within X.509.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42