From: Vincent Lynch via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
Date: Fri,Feb 24,2017 15:10
To: dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>, wuyi
<594346...@qq.com>
Subject: Re: Let's Encrypt appears to issue a certificate for a domain
thatdoesn't exist

As you have quoted it, Let's Encrpyt's CPS says:

"the CA is *entitled* to revoke the certificate"

The key word is "entitled." Meaning that Let's Encrypt may revoke the
certificate if they chose, but are not required to. Therefore not revoking
the certificate is compatible with their CPS.

It's important to realize this is not an argument about what *should* be
done or what we think is right, but what *can* be done under the current
rules and regulations.

The fact is that the CAB/F BR's are so (intentionally) ambiguous about
"high risk" certificates that there is no real way meaning to that section
and no real way for a CA to violate said section.

As others have mentioned, please can we stop writing unrelated comments on
this thread. This thread is about a specific report about a DV cert being
issued to a non-existent domain. That report turned out to be false. Unless
comments are about that report, this is the wrong thread to post in.

I would also encourage anyone interested in the topic of high risk requests
and certs being issued to phishing sites to see Eric Mill's comment in this
thread. He has provided a link to past discussion on this topic, and I can
promise you that however displeasing and shocking this practice may be, it
has already been considered and debated.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:36 AM wuyi via dev-security-policy <